Friday, January 18, 2013

Lines Stretched 1-18-13

I haven't fished yet this year. Conditions were prime, high water... Well, more stained than I'd liked. 8" visibility.

But...on my first cast, the float sunk. I soon had a 12-13"er to hand. Great sign. Picked another 30 minutes later near some wood along a sun exposed bank. 14-15". Good sign. It was clear the water was cranking and the fish couldn't see that well. When they did, they bit.

Image

Picked another out of a triangle, basically right on the bank. Would pick another on the way back up. 14", 12"

Floated down to a large pool. Finally, I found some bass and carp concentrated on a lone log. Had to be tight to the wood or nothing. Picked 2- 24-26" carp and 3 smb- dink, 14", 15". Pulled the yak back to the car. Lots of scales on hooks. Rough fish must have been concentrated in small spots.

Image

Image

Walked to the next spot. By the time I got there, it was after 4pm. Tried dragging a tube slowly along rip-rap. This paid off, going 3/4, with the bass of the day at 19.5". Got another on fnf.

Image

Image

Image

The bigger fish had proven hard to coax, the one nice one I did get was thick. Had been eating well. I literally pulled the tube under a rock I thought might contain a highwater pig. Felt like I hung up. The pig was hooked 2' from where I was standing.

11 SMB (19.5") 2 carp, 1 quillback carpsucker.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment