Sunday, September 27, 2009

Hit a new stretch of a small creek that feeds out of a lake by about 12:30. It's filled with bass of spotted and smallmouth variety. Today they wanted the baby fluke. Bigger fish weren't present. Which helped confirm my suspicion I should be fishing closer to dark.

Water is really low and clear everywhere. I got 15 from dinky to 13" on baby fluke 3-4 hours. On the walk back, I swum a tube slowly upstream and missed a good bite. Tried again and was a little shocked to see a 17" Sauger (thanks Curtis) on the end of the line. First this year, I believe.



Left and hit the mother stream, hoping to hit some wood piles at dusk. Caught a 16" on a tube. Had a violent blowup pitching Sammy at a laydown. 3 Dinks.

Hit an 'S' curve with wood piles, worked a buzzbait from every angle just to get a tap. Went with the tube. After about the 6th or 7th cast to one particular laydown, I felt a tick. It was on. A quick, violent struggle and I had beached a thick, long smallmouth. It taped 19.5". Ended a long dryspell on bigger smallies.



Totals were 20 bass (19.5, 16) 1 Sauger and a chub 6-7 hours

3 comments:

  1. Nice work on the 19.5" one! You look pretty pleased! The walleye looks like a good catch too. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love following your blog. I enjoy fishing for smallmouth in streams and have learned a lot from your experiences. Also a fisheries biologist with Ohio Division of Wildlife and enjoying seeing Indiana's smallies. What you've got is sauger (or possibly a saugeye). Dark saddles/blotches along side and distinct spots between dorsal spines. If indeed a pure sauger, it is a nice one at that! Are you close to the Ohio River (or is that giving away too much info!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curtis, thanks for setting me straight. I can see it now. I noticed the white blotch on the bottom of the tail and immediately thought Walleye. You can't see it in the pic. Most sauger I have caught were more black in color. The dorsal dots didn't look right.

    I catch them pretty rarley in Indiana. Maybe a couple a year. Half the time I'm throwing some sort of topwater, so that rules Sauger and Walleye out most of the time.

    Sauger were reintroduced to the White River after the 2000 fish kill.

    Walleye, are often found below reservoirs in the creeks.

    Nowhere near the Ohio river in this case!

    Thanks for the comments guys, chime in any time.

    ReplyDelete